Cripple Creek & Victor Gold Mining Company

"Living a Mining Heritage"

Cripple Creek Mining District Timeline

2012 - CC&V obtains approval for Mile Life Extension2 from state
1891 - and local governments. With the extension mining will
1891 - continue until 2025 and a 3 stage process mill will be
1891 - constructed in Squaw Gulch, to begin operation in 2014
2011 - CC&V pours its 4 millionth ounce and donates gold to the
1891 - State of CO. to resurface the capital dome
2008 - Mine Life Extension approved by the State of Colorado
1891 - and Teller County to extend mining to 2016
2008 - AngloGold Ashanti merges with Golden Cycle Corporation
1891 - and becomes 100% owner of CC&V
2007 - CC&V pours its 3,000,000 ounce
2000 - CC&V pours its 1,000,000 ounce
1999 - AngloGold (Colorado) Corp. becomes majority owner and manager of CC&V and the Cresson Project
1995 - First gold ounces produced from the Cresson Project, 76,000 ounces produced by year end
1994 - Cresson Project permitted, mining initiated by year end
1993 - Permits resubmitted under new regulations promulgated by the State of Colorado following
1891 - disaster at Summitville Mine
1993 - Approval received for 1992 design of Cresson Project
1992 - CC&V begins design of Cresson Project and submits permit applications
1993 - Independence Mining Company, Inc. purchases NERCO Minerals interests and Pikes Peak Mining Company
1991 - CC&V resumes pre-CC&V mining at the Ironclad and Globe Hill surface mines
1989 - NERCO Minerals purchases interests in Texasgulf, name of operating company becomes
1891 - Pikes Peak Mining Company
1988 - CC&V begins mining at the Portland surface mine
1985 - CC&V initiates pad leaching of the historic underground mines’ waste piles, and begins reclamation
1985 - of the areas around old mine dumps
1981 - Lowell Thomas dies in his New York home
1981 - Silver States Mining Company initiates vat leaching at the Ironclad Mill
1976 - Lowell Thomas announces, from Victor, his retirement
1976 - Cripple Creek & Victor Gold Mining Co. forms as a joint venture between Golden Cycle Gold Corp.
1976 - and Texasgulf (Texas Gulf Sulfur)
1976 - First outdoor leach facility in the District begins operation
1974 - Fixed price for gold removed
1965 - Golden Cycle Corporation controls 4,500 acres of mining claims in the District
1962 - The Carlton Mill close
1891-1961 - More than 21 million ounces of gold produced from the District
1951-1962 - Carlton Mill (the last one in the District) operates as a custom mill serving several underground mines
1941 - Gold mines closed for World War II (L-208 order)
1949 - The last railroad train leaves the District
1933-1934 - Gold price rises to $34 per ounce
1941 - Carlton Drainage Tunnel completed from Vindicator to Marigold
1914 - Cresson Mine Vug discovered with 60,000 ounces of free gold
1911 - All mills in the District emply cyanide recovery
1899-1902 - VLowell Thomas’ family moves to Victor
1899-1902 - Victor population 12,000. With 8 pharmacies, 15 restaurants, 2 newspapers, 12 labor unions,
1894-12 banks, 29 doctors, 5 architects, 48 saloons, 6 churches, and 15 attorneys
1894-1917 - Two trolley car lines service the mines and towns
1894-1917 - Three major rail lines service the District, 56 trips per day
1894-1917 - More than 500 mines operating in the District
1899 - Goldfield population reached 3,000
1899 - Victor burns leaving more than 3,000 people homeless
1899 - Pikes Peak Power Company formed for hydroelectric and later coal-fired steam-electric power
1898 - City of Victor established
1896 - Victor population reaches 8,000
1894 - Goldfield platted by Portland Town & Mineral Company
1894 - Golden Cycle Corporation initiates operations in the District
1893 - Town of Victor formed by Woods Brothers
1891 - Cripple Creek Crusher and The Prospector newspapers begin publication
1891 - Cripple Creek Mining District forms


> District History